Join us as we celebrate World Rainforest Day with our project leaders and friends worldwide.
Our friends at “World Rainforest Day explain that this day celebrates this precious natural resource and encourages action to preserve it. Your efforts, together with the actions of others, will have a positive impact on rainforests and the climate worldwide.”
Rainforest Alliance shares 9 facts everyone should know about rainforests.
- Rainforests are a powerful natural climate solution.
- Tropical forests have become net carbon emitters.
- Tropical rainforests cover less than 3% of Earth’s area, yet they are home to more than half our planet’s terrestrial animal species.
- Rainforests play an essential role in maintaining the Earth’s limited supply of freshwater.
- Rainforest plants are used in some of the world’s most important, life-saving medicines.
- A swath of rainforest the size of 40 football fields disappears each minute.
- 1 out of 4 people worldwide depends on forests for their livelihoods.
- You can help conserve rainforests by choosing products that bear the Rainforest Alliance Certified seal (Hint: just #FollowTheFrog!).
- Working in partnership with rural communities is an effective, proven approach to keeping forests standing and conserving natural resources.
Photo courtesy of Dave Hoefler and the article banner was created by Cevahir Ozruh.